CUNY IT Support Assistant (Provisional) in Bronx, New York
Job Title: IT Support Assistant (Provisional)
Job ID: 20767
Location: Lehman College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
I.T. Support Assistants support routine operations and problem resolution of computing and/or communications functions at a College or Unit. They work in technical support, applications development, operations, help desk, and similar environments, as well as in the field where equipment may be located.
Work tasks include as:
-Operating, transporting, adjusting, and installing/configuring computing and related equipment
-Communicating with technology users and staff to understand, identify, document and resolve problems
-Performing simple repairs to computing and related equipment.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Support Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Lehman College is seeking an IT Support Assistant in the Division of Information Technology to support Lehman’s enterprise Networks, Servers and Advanced Systems team.
Information Technology Support Assistants perform professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically IT Support Assistants work under direct supervision work in areas such as development, programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation.
• Under the supervision of a senior staff member, use observation and/or diagnostic tools to prevent and determine the cause of malfunctions of equipment such as Cisco Network Switches, Routers, Wireless Network and bridges.
• As directed, configures, makes minor adjustments and implements routine technical updates to hardware and software, including campus-wide IDF, MDF and Data Center’s equipment for maintenance and operations.
• Tests networked computers for classrooms and faculty/staff offices as well as communications equipment to check its capacity and capability to perform as specified, and reports findings.
• Identifies problems regarding computer, peripheral, or communications equipment, and other operating environment such as Cisco VoIP Network & phones.
• Assists senior staff in the maintenance of the campus wide GigaSpeed copper & fiber optics cabling infrastructure.
• Assists in creating network diagrams and wireless signal heat maps.
• Ensures compliance with uniform performance standards, procedures, and efficient methods of work.
• Identifies and understands customer’s issues and needs. Continuously evaluate and identify opportunities to create effective customer solutions that positively impact the customer’s experience.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Applicant should be in a position to support the College operations during College business hours, as well as evenings, holidays and weekends, according to the needs of the College and in response to emergency situations.
High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
Eighteen months of related full-time work experience or equivalent, such as completion of eighteen college credits in Information Technology
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
• Knowledge of the Cisco LAN Management software packages
• Demonstrated understanding of application virtualization and application streaming concepts
• Hands-on experience with understanding of desktop virtualization concepts
• Prior experience with Thin Client or Zero Client devices
• Demonstrated understanding of storage-area-network products and technologies
• Demonstrated understanding of layer 2/3 networking technologies and concepts
New Hire: $36,683*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
July 18, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.