CUNY Continuing Education Teacher (Hourly) in Brooklyn, New York
Job Title: Continuing Education Teacher (Hourly)
Job ID: 20666
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Teaches Continuing Education courses and performs related work.
The CUNY Fatherhood Academy (CFA) is a comprehensive program designed to promote responsible parenting and foster economic stability for unemployed and underemployed young fathers through education, employment, and personal development. Increased familial engagement, attaining a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma and finding gainful employment are all essential goals of the CFA. The program’s central focus is to help young fathers prepare for and enroll into college or training programs, with the understanding that earning a college degree is the most effective path toward providing long-term economic sustainability for themselves and their families. The program is targeted to serve Black and Latino fathers, ages 18–30, from throughout New York City. Under the NYC Mayor’s Young Men’s Initiative, the CUNY Fatherhood Academy is expanding to a new site at Kingsborough Community College.
Under the supervision of the Academic Program Specialist, the Part Time HSE Instructor will provide participants academic instruction and work collaboratively with program staff to identify and address specific academic and personal needs of each student.
• Provide specialized academic instruction to target population while assessing student performance to determine readiness for TASC exam; Contextualize academic instruction to relate to supplemental fatherhood curriculum.
• Offer general advising and guidance to students on TASC subjects as needed
• Integrate new theories, concepts, practices, innovations, or techniques relevant to the TASC exam into standard instructional materials.
• Assist with monitoring, tracking and tallying student data for reports and program analysis.
• Assist with identifying and coordinating supplemental instruction support services for participants.
• Assist in the development of supplemental learning materials and activities to meet varying academic needs of students.
Educational and professional qualifications appropriate to teaching assignments.
• Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience
• Ability to work effectively with staff, students, and internal and external constituents;
• Ability to communicate effectively with and convey simple to complex concepts, processes, and practices to peers, supervisors, and students; ability to listen and respond to the concerns/ideas of others; and
• Ability to write clearly and produce/edit accurate, well-organized, and understandable lessons
• Ability to engage diverse neighborhoods and populations; Evening hours may be required
• Experience advising and working with students with development math/reading needs
• Knowledge of existing academic standards and familiarity with Common Core Learning Standards, TASC preparation, and college placement exams
• H/she must be able to demonstrate good organization skills, positive interpersonal skills, and excellent communication skills
• Strong facilitation, training, and professional development skills
• Must demonstrate expertise in the development of learning skills and learning strategies, presentation and group facilitation experience.
• Experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating workshops, strong writing and oral communication skills.
•Experience working with the target population and experience working in a college or university setting.
$37-$39 an hour, 20 hours per week.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 20666 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
June 30, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.