CUNY Associate/ Full Professor (Program Administration - Chair) Department of Dance in New York, New York
Job Title: Associate/ Full Professor (Program Administration - Chair) Department of Dance
Job ID: 20779
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Department of Dance seeks a Department Chair, appointment effective for the fall 2020 semester, at the rank of associate or full professor (preferred) with tenure. The college is strongly committed to the growth of its Dance Department, which currently offers a BA degree, a minor, a BA Ed major, an accelerated 5 year BAMA degree, a newly established MFA degree, and a highly successful MA in Dance Education/Certification Program. The possibility of adding a BFA has been under discussion. Through generous donor support, the department benefits from excellent renovated facilities, including a studio theatre and beautiful spacious studios. Planning is underway for further major expansions and improvements.
• Providing the strategic vision for the continuous improvement of programs, services, and operations;
• Artistic Direction and vision for the performance and choreography of departmental concerts and presentations;
• Curriculum planning with initiation and enhancement of courses for all the degree programs;
• Teaching undergraduate and graduate level classes;
• Consulting and collaborating with the department’s student organization;
• Developing and maintaining strategic partnerships including supporters, donors, friends and patrons;
• Facilitating a working environment of consensus and collaboration;
• Overseeing staff, budget, facilities, facility renovations and ongoing program evaluation;
• Recruiting talented professionals to teach in an adjunct capacity as needed;
• Actively and energetically representing the Department of Dance within the college and the broader community;
• Recruiting and nurturing the next generation of dance artists, educators, and scholars
An appropriate terminal degree in area(s) of experience, or equivalent commensurate with ability and experience. Qualified candidates should have a minimum of three years of administrative experience; five years of teaching experience in higher education settings; seven years of professional performing experience; a record of professionally produced choreography; and a record of program development.
CANDIDATES SHOULD ALSO HAVE:
• a passion for dance and dance study both as professional preparation and as a component of a liberal arts education incorporating the best of contemporary approaches to technique, choreography, aesthetics, and pedagogy into curricula;
• the desire to program and nurture diversity in community while practicing rigor in artistic work, analysis/research, and pedagogy
• a broad familiarity with and an ability to foster meaningful connections to the NYC professional dance and dance teaching communities, as well as those communities nationally and internationally ; and
• the capacity to prepare Hunter dance students for a high level of artistry and professional success as performers, choreographers, dance educators, and dance scholars.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional Salary commensurate with experience. CUNY offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to its faculty, covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume reflecting recognized achievement in multiple areas such as: Performance, Choreography, Teaching (higher education community, K-12), Program Development, and Dance/Arts Administration/Management, scholarly interest or cover letter and statement of leadership philosophy with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on October 1, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the positions remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.