CUNY Administrative Specialist for Interpreting Services - Adult & Continuing Education in Queens, New York
Job Title: Administrative Specialist for Interpreting Services - Adult & Continuing Education
Job ID: 20431
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Since being established in 1975, LaGuardia Community College's Program for Deaf Adults (PDA) continues to be a model, urban, post-secondary education and support program that enrolls the largest number of deaf and hard of hearing students in any institution of higher learning in the Greater Metropolitan New York area. Presently, PDA offers three comprehensive post-secondary educational programs to deaf, hard of hearing and hearing adults. The Program for Deaf Adults houses three separate programs: (1) Support Services for Academic-Degree Seeking Students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing, (2) PDA Continuing Education Programs and (3) the ASL English Interpretation Program.
Reporting to the Manager of Program for Deaf Adults, The Administrative Specialist for Interpreting Services will perform, but not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Assist with the management of PDA Interpreting Services allocation budget;
• Track and submit required documentation of interpreter service hours for reimbursement by New York State ACCES-VR;
• Review and approve payment for interpreter agency and independent contractor invoices;
• Recruit, screen, and appoint LaGuardia interpreters; Procure interpreting services from agencies and independent contractors, as needed;
• Supervise American Sign Language interpreters and an Academic Support Services Administrative Assistant; assigning tasks and projects and monitoring work for accuracy and completion; review and approve interpreter’s time sheets;
• Schedule students’ interpreting accommodations for classroom, and co- and extra-curricular activities; interpreting services for PDA staff, college and other CUNY events and activities;
• Establish and maintain effective systems of communication for students and staff to request, secure and use an interpreter;
• Serve as liaison with NY State Adult Career and Continuing Education Services- Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) to assist students’ access to services;
• Provide ongoing interpreter services orientation and awareness training to students, faculty and staff;
• Provide statistical and narrative reports pertaining to the use of interpreter services and expenses quarterly, and as needed;
• Create and develop various systems and procedures to facilitate delivery of interpreting services, budget management, and staff development.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
BA in Human Services, Deaf Studies or related field, and four years’ experience in direct or related field which includes advanced knowledge of Deaf community and accommodations preferred.
Proficiency in American Sign Language.
Certificate in Sign Language Interpretation preferred.
Experience with budget management preferred.
Good administrative, organizational, and written and oral communication skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides administrative and program support to an administrative or academic department.
Oversees department operations and assists management in planning department activities, creating schedules, assigning staff and preparing and delivering department communications.
Works with appropriate offices related to personnel recruitment, expediting search activities
Research coordinates and organizes materials for key events such as promotion and tenure reviews.
Supervises and trains support staff and student workers.
Manages budget and coordinates purchasing, accounting, and payroll.
Provides instructions and basic advice to students, faculty, and others seeking information on department activities, policies, and schedules.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Administrative Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
April 29, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.