CUNY Art Center-Museum Specialist- Godwin Ternbach Museum in Queens, New York
Job Title: Art Center-Museum Specialist- Godwin Ternbach Museum
Job ID: 20427
Location: Queens College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President of External Affairs and Advancement The Art Specialist in the Godwin-Ternbach Museum uphold and maintain the museum’s Mission Strategic plan and Collections management policies. He/ She, in addition to the CUNY Title Overview, will perform the following duties:
• Under the guidance of the AVP, the Art Specialist researches, plans, curates, designs and installs all exhibitions within the museum including loan exhibition and off-site exhibitions
• Creates design concepts and layouts for exhibitions
• Prepare exhibition objects including mounts, glazing, framing, as well as installation of exhibition
• Catalogues and documents museum collection of over 6,000 objects
• Maintains images for objects and archives including collection, exhibition installations and collection image requests, rights and reproductions
• Manages the acquisition of collections
• Creates, organizes and maintains all documents pertaining to museum inventory including but not limited to: inventory slips, loans, insurance etc.
• Collaborates with professors, students, and academic interns as it pertains to scheduling to utilize museum collection in course curriculum, lectures, students, and faculty research, including class assignment and independent study
• Works closely with co-assistant director to assist with the museum’s educational programs including educational exhibitions, demonstrations, classes, tours, workshops, docent, student and work-study guide training, coordinates lectures, films, and other public programs at the museum
• Coordinates fundraising and membership drive initiatives, as well as, special fundraising efforts
• Maintain and track museum and exhibition budgets alongside the co-assistant director
• Works with the AVP for the publication of materials (e.g. press releases, web presence, catalogues, didactic text etc.) by the museum including writing, proof-reading, and editing
• Works on aspects of the facility management such as temperature and humidity stability
• Works with members of the advisory board and organizes meetings along with co-assistant director
• Supervises staff members such as: college assistants, gallery assistant (volunteers), student aides.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Master’s degree in a related discipline and four years’ experience working in curation and installation in museum or gallery settings. Experience working in institutions of higher education. Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing, and grant fulfillment, follow-ups, and reporting. Experience managing or overseeing production of exhibition catalogs, press releases, and social media including writing, proofreading, and editing. Experience in acquisitions, a plus.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers the operations of a museum, gallery, or art facility.
Manages preservation, documentation, and management of a collection (e.g., acquisition, records management, cataloging, storage, security, maintenance and repair)
Prepares in-house and/or traveling exhibits, including all necessary documentation, installation, and exhibition materials
Responds to requests for information and/or loan, and all educational materials, researching the collection as needed
Administers gallery activities, such as maintaining computerized records on equipment, materials, and other inventory; updating web pages, etc.
Participates in organizing events, promotional efforts, and exhibition marketing
Supervises daily gallery operations and maintenance of the collection
Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
Go to cuny.jobs
In the box under "job title/ keyword", enter "20427"
Click on "Art Center-Museum Specialist- Godwin Ternbach Museum"
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) professional references in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you uploaded, for example: JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
May 2, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.